Thursday, May 27, 2010

Leasson Of the Day


Today was a good day! I got in a flex and a boaw baow!!

In my social psychology lecture we discussed Patty Linville's 1954 study on the Self-Concept Theory. To sum things up, Linville believes that each of us have multiple selves we put into action in varying social contexts.

What does this have to do with me: I'm glad you asked. After being instructed to jot down a few of our personal "selfs", Dr. Hackney asked for a volunteer to show and tell. And of course, yours truly raised an enthused hand. Upon being called on, I share 5 of my most prevailing selves with the class.

Academic Self, Professional Self, Family Self, Close Friend Self, and who I am around Strangers.

Here's part of how things went down.

Dr Hackney: Wow, that's a lot. Care to describe each of these "selves" *Insert side eye from peers*
Me: I sure will. My academic self appears to be studious when in all actuality I am not really paying attention *entire class turns around, a couple of students asked me why I would tell on myself*
Dr. Hackney *laughing*: So basically, you're being fake??
Me: I'll be that but I bet I get an A in this class just like I got an A in your last class
Dr. Hackney: That is true, okay continue
Me: I am on my P's & Q's and about business when I am at work, I am guarded around my immediate family.... I am goofy and extremely silly and outrageous around my close friends.... I'm cold around strangers because I don't automatically give out friendships. I don't believe in that!
*side chatter among classmates about how fake I must be* *laughter and disbelief*

Dr. Hackney then goes on (laboriously) to find another volunteer to describe their "selfs" but this classmate's "selfs" over lap.... This part is unimportant

Dr. Hackney then goes on to explain the theory further. The highlight was when she used my "selfs" as an example of high self-complexity and how research supported that people with similar personalities score higher in self-worth, self-image and self-esteem... This is because if we do poorly in one facet of our lives it doesn't make us bad all around. We have an understanding that the world will not end, and the failing is not a reflection of who we are in totality.

In stark comparison, people exhibiting low self-complexity are more likely to have a bad day or poor self-image if something going on in one situation because they apply the misfailing across the board.

And with that being said, I hit the class with the flexx and withheld a boaw baow!! But I bet everyone felt really stupid for judging me... Our salience (look it up) is a pervasive indicator of how we see the world. If one is insecure they are more likely to be judgmental and critical of others. Whereas someone such as myself (brushes shoulders off) is complex and more likely to accept the opinions and behaviors of others simply because we would not want to be judge for our curious nature.

Are you following me??

I have no malice in my demeanor but I find it interesting that I come off arrogant or fake to anyone when I am simply exhibiting my openness, self assurance and high social intelligence. I have literally exhibited this compartmentalized behavior since kindergarten.

Wanna know how?

When I was in kindergarten, I acted out a lot because I was not being challenged. I took an IQ test and was subsequently allowed to be taught in a 3rd grade class during nap time. I was still kindergarten aged amid 3rd graders. Carrying myself like a kindergartner would be unacceptable in a 3rd grade classroom, but I still wanted to play. Thus, I had to be a kindergarten self with my fellow kindergartners and play the part of a mature 3rd grader during nap time....

Therefore, 15 years later I have mastered the art of being the best "self" in any given social context. Call me what you want but I'm the realest mufuh you will ever meet, because I strive to be the best ME ever!

Again I say, baow boaw

No comments:

Post a Comment