Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taking Notes

I'm currently sitting in class going in and out of listening to a substitute lecturer in my Sensations and Perceptions class. I am currently wondering why I am here... and that thought expands across the board.

Over the pass few semesters, I have come to realize that the college experience in the classroom is moving towards the sadness that is our K-12 education. I am no longer being actively engaged for the sake of learning, but rather jam packed with useless information with the expectation of comprehension on exams.

What is to become of the American education system? If we only teach what will be on tests, how can one realistically expect common sense to be a unifying commodity we exchange towards effective real-life application?? I believe the inability to think generally, yet critically, is a skill that keeps Americans average, stagnant and ill-equipped for playing time on the global field.

Random Side Note: I need to blog about the new Health Care Reform bill recently passed. Remind me later.

Anyway, I have always internally warred against the academy of central thought, finding myself a frequent student of real world alley ways, corridors of the unconventional and the courtyard lectures of thinking outside the box. I can not stress the point of using organized education as the foundation for self-education. READ A BOOK READ A BOOK, READ A MUFUGGIN BOOK!!

Seriously, I believe that true knowledge takes place outside of the school house. Which brings me to a extended visit to Books-A-Million. Don't be a nigga (used as an adjective as opposed to the common racial slur; I shall blog about it later. Note to self) and furthermore don't be a ethnocentric American.

Knowledge is power, but don't be deceived into thinking intelligence will be nurtured in a classroom. Cultivate and harvest the fruits of your inner genius or you will waste away brain cells just taking notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment